Monday, June 8, 2009

George Foreman Defeats Williams and Sonoma

On a lighter note, I have a confession:  I absolutely love kitchen tools/gadgets and treat the arrival of the latest Williams and Sonoma catalog like a 3 year old on Christmas morning.

I also love Sur la Table.

The other part of the confession is that I don't always buy my kitchen gadgets from those stores, as they are pricey, but I use/abuse their suggestions to find a cheaper solution.  I can spend hours at those stores, fondling the merchandise.

The latest Williams and Sonoma catalog included a bunch of new items (that I don't have... yet).  It was the first time a catalog required that I admit to my husband that "I would buy EVERYTHING in it."  Well, not everything, of course, but all of the new items were truly exciting.  The fajita plates (with a dozen uses) and the wire mesh pans for grilling were things I now covet (but will be unable to purchase for decades).

The catalog also included a panini press with a nosebleed price of $99.95. W&S has had panini presses for a long tme, but I think their prices on them are ridiculous.  Cheaper solutions may not be as sexy or chic as the W&S ones, but their prices put them out of reach for most people.

If you own a George Foreman grill (and who doesn't?) it IS a panini press, and there is no reason to buy another one, especially one that is priced so high.  The large Foreman grill is available (on Amazon) for $39.95. Although the larger size makes it difficult to store, it adds versatility and convenience, making it possible to make multiple sandwiches at once.  If you're a single or a double family, then you can get a smaller one (for $19.95 on Amazon).

Just thought I'd mention it, in case it isn't obvious.  The George Foreman grill is a marvelous product, with uses beyond those it generally advertises.