Monday, June 8, 2009

I Can Relate

There have been a flurry of posts and discussions on the outing of a previously anonymous blogger. I think the best summary I've seen is by Rand Simberg (Transterrestrial Musings, On Pseudonymity, June 7, 2009 [H/t Instapundit]):
I would also say that I agree that there is an important distinction between pseudonymous and anonymous blogging. The former establishes an identity and a reputation that must be both established, and upheld. After a while, people will respect, or not, posts or comments from such a person, regardless of whether or not they know the real name/profession/location, etc. An anonymous commenter/blogger, on the other hand, has the potential to be a drive-by arsonist, and many are. In the space Internet world, Tommy Lee Elifritz is perhaps the best example of this, who changes his nom de plume more often than he probably changes his underwear, at places like Space Politics, NASA Watch and Rockets’n'Such. Of course, in his case, the vile style is quite distinctive.

I like Mr. Simberg's distinction between pseudonymous and anonymous blogging. I hope that I am the former and am not tarnished by the "drive-by arsonists" who frequent the blogosphere anonymously.

When I started this blog I knew that using a pseudonym would make it difficult to develop trust with readers, and I also knew that starting a new blog was the last thing the world needed, and I would (mostly) be one of a million voices shouting into the wind. To compensate, I make every attempt to source (to the point of irritation) and to provide context and historical references.

I used to be of the opinion that pseudonymous bloggers were cowards, until I became one, of course. It was a choice of being a pseudonymous-blogger or not blogging. The personal risks were just too great to blog openly, and the topics and subjects I could write about would be limited if I used my real name, based on non-disclosure contracts and not wishing employer and friends/associates to feel or be at-risk by what I say here. I would never, as Mr. Simberg describes, use my pseudonymous status to go on the attack. In general, I believe that attacking a person is the height of moral increptitude.  Attack the argument/idea, not the person is a personal rule that I hope to always live up to.  I would never "out" my employer by name either, as that would defeat my purpose, as well as give clues as to my real identity.

In a world where personal attack and rampant libel dominates a medium, I came to accept that pseudonymous was the only way to go. I wish it could be otherwise, but it isn't. Sans a windfall by a rich Uncle or a titled-Royal who decides I'm their one and only heir (that I do not know about) or a lottery win that would enable me to disengage from the working world, pseudonymous is how it has to be.