Thursday, May 21, 2009

Missing the Missing Link Link

At the dinner table last evening we were discussing recent headlines. Two of us, including me, were quite surprised that we missed any mention of the discovery of the missing link (National Geographic News, "MISSING LINK" FOUND: New Fossil Links Humans, Lemurs?, May 19, 2009):  
The fossil, he says, bridges the evolutionary split between higher primates such as monkeys, apes, and humans and their more distant relatives such as lemurs.

"This is the first link to all humans," Hurum, of the Natural History Museum in Oslo, Norway, said in a statement. Ida represents "the closest thing we can get to a direct ancestor." 

Having that discovery found at all (which was never a certainty) is quite astonishing.  Having it found during my lifetime is something personal to celebrate. (I'm old enough to consider that breakthroughs that have been worked on during my lifetime will not complete before I die, but not this one!)

I would have expected special news bulletins would have accompanied the announcement, as the finding is as important and remarkable as "Mars creatures land on earth" would be.

I missed the missing link news completely, which surprised me, as I'm quite a news junkie.  

I shall attempt to rectify missing the missing link news by becoming even junkier in the future.